Meals from the Heartland (MFTH)
Reports to: Executive Director
Directly Supervises: Office Manager & Admins
The Finance Director is responsible and accountable for the administration, organization, and management of all financial, accounting, and payroll services necessary for the effective operation of Meals from the Heartland. This position implements the mission, vision, and core values of the organization by developing, implementing, and evaluating strategies to ensure financial forecasting and indicators of the mission’s financial performance. This position is a member of the leadership team and supervises the office administration staff as well as oversees the organization’s HR and benefits activities.
- Oversee daily financial transactions including cash, check, and online donations.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements for internal and external purpose.
- Oversee collections of accounts receivable and payments of accounts payable.
- Responsible for maintaining proper internal controls around MftH financial reporting processes and safeguarding of the organization’s assets.
- Monitor cash flow and manage banking relationships
- Responsible for the preparation and monitoring of the annual budget with input assistance from the leadership team and Board Treasurer.
- Communicates the actual financial performance versus budget and key performance indicators and other objectives to leadership team and Board Treasurer .
- Work collaboratively and closely with Board Treasurer providing quarterly and year end reporting and presentations to the Board of Directors and additional information as necessary.
- Set Accounting Policy and Implement New Accounting Pronouncements, ensure MftH accounting policies are in compliance with relevant US GAAP
- Coordination and Implementation of Financial Statement Audit with external audit firm
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with relevant IRS reporting requirements, including working with external firm on preparation and filing of IRS Form 990 .
- Responsible for coordination with outsourced payroll and benefit provider and the accounting in accordance with the policies and procedures of Meals from the Heartland.
- Embrace the MFTH mission, vision, and values and promote in all business engagements.
- Encourage and model good collaboration and communications with MFTH staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
Minimum Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with 8+ years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and Excel
- Competency in Raisers Edge database software a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Mission ownership: Understands and conveys the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Serves as an organizational ambassador in public settings.
- Integrity and Trust: Operates with the highest level of integrity and quickly earns the trust of other staff members, board, and volunteers.
- Written communication: A skilled communicator across all mediums. Can effectively convey our mission and vision to requisite audiences.
- Attention to detail.
- Time management: Effectively self-manages his or her time and consistently meets project/task due dates.
- Project management: Able to successfully plan for and manage multiple projects of all sizes, meet deadlines, and keep staff team members briefed on progress.
- Team orientation: A team player in every sense who is approachable and responsive to others’ needs.
- Volunteer management: Effectively identify opportunities to engage volunteers and successfully manage volunteer projects to completion.
Accountability and Evaluation:
This position is supervised by the Executive Director. A job review is conducted annually.
Hours/week: 40 per week. Seasonally, during peak donation periods, additional hours may be required and/or available.
Mission: Empowering people to save starving children.
Vision: to alleviate life-threatening hunger through education, engagement, and feeding.
"*" indicates required fields
"*" indicates required fields